This recipe is my adaptation of a recipe from Simon and Alison Holst’s “The New Zealand Bread book”.
Quick and easy bread for showing off 🙂
And Kids love it.
3 teaspoons active dried yeast
350ml of beer or lager (approximately 1.5 cups)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups high grade flour OR 2 cups high grade and one cup wholemeal
If making by hand
– mix all ingredients
– cover, and leave for 15 minutes in a warm place
– knead for 10 minutes. Adding flour if neccessary to make it just firm enough to knead.
– stop when dough forms a ball and springs back when pressed with finger
– make dough into a ball
– rub 2 teaspoons of olive oil over dough in a clean bowl
– cover with cling film
– leave in warm place for 30mins to rise
– knead lightly for 1 minute
– cut into 3 equal portions
– put the oven on to 200 degrees celcius
– roll portions out into 3 long skinny sausage shapes.
– plat the 3 rolls togeather, don’t worry if it is rough.
– sqash the ends togeather
– put it on a floured oven tray
– then into the oven for 20 to 45 minutes.
If you want it crusty spray with water, or a mix of milk and egg.
The longer you bake it the heavier the crust.